The Swiss Kiwis swisscross


Driving Licenses & Permits

Foreign driving licences

When you arrive to collect your motorcycle at the start of your ride, you will need to bring along your motorcycle licence or driving license (with motorcycle entitlement clearly displayed), your passport if you are visiting from outside of New Zealand and a credit card for the security bond. It's also a good idea to take along your booking confirmation, as this contains all the necessary contact information for the relevant drop off/ pick up location.

drivers licenseMost motorcycle driving licences are perfectly adequate for renting a motorcycle and touring around New Zealand - there are however a few notable exceptions. If your licence is not printed in English or does not include English translations of the relevant sections, then you must get either a certified translation of your licence, or an International Driving Permit [IDP]. For example, the Swiss driving licence is in English, but there are still some difficulties in reading it properly.

Not only will it make collecting your motorcycle a breeze, but it will prevent any long and confusing question and answer sessions with the local police, should you happen to be stopped by a traffic official/ officer at any point on your ride.

So to summarise: The documents you will need in order to rent a motorcycle in New Zealand and to have the best time possible if you are visiting from overseas are your: passport, credit card and driving licence with a certified translation or International Driving Permit. Oh, and a sense of adventure and humour, that's always important!

permit bike riding license new zealand

We look forward to welcoming you to New Zealand soon!